Sunday, April 6, 2008

Why Rudolph Can't Play Anymore

Poor Rudolph. No more reindeer games for him. This was reindeer stew I cooked up last week. It was pretty tasty. Seven parts veggie plus one part reindeer. Yes, it was ground meat. Yes, the connotations are dreadful. No, I didn't; it came from the store that way. Let me say that again...it came from the store that way. The grocery store. Welcome to Sweden.

I'm still trying to figure out a good description for the taste of the reindeer meat. No, not like chicken. It was a tad dry despite my best efforts. I used sage and salt as the main seasonings. Wasn't sure what else to use so I improvised with some other things (olive oil, balsamic vinegar). My first attempt. More to follow. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

5 comments:

Ren said...

So reindeer doesn't taste like similarly-shaped animals like sheep or goat? At all?

Anonymous said...

Is that Rudolph's nose in the stew? Looks like brightly lit reindeer nose if you ask me! Or perhaps it IS a tomato... I am hoping for the tomato.

- Mike

Chris said...

Would I really put Rudolph's nose in the stew. Damn right I would!

Francis S. said...

Actually, Swedes I think often serve it in a cream sauce - at least that's how my husband does it. Not ground meat, though, but more shaved bits of meat. It's tasty, but really heavy. I have to admit, I prefer moose to reindeer.

Chris said...

Moose! I nearly forgot that I saw a group of moose next to the highway during a snowstorm on our way back from Stockholm many weeks ago. Now, I will have to taste one. Somehow I doubt the ICA Maxi carries moose. But, I will have to ask.