Thursday, April 17, 2008

Taler du Engelska?

I had to make a few phone calls today. I was trying to find a place to board the dogs when we are away on Summer holiday. No, Zoey and Lily are not here yet. But you need to book these reservations far in advance. The whole country probably needs to board their dogs and we don't want to be shut out of the hundpensionat. I love that word. Literally, a doggie pensione. For what some of them charge, though, it's more like sending them to 5-star hotel. But that's another story.

The upshot is that I spoke
in Swedish on the phone today. I said "Taler du Engelska?" And when they replied "jag" I broke into Swenglish. Which for me consists of speaking slowly in English and throwing in an occasional word or phrase in Swedish to show that I am capable of "taler lite Svenska." A little Svenska. Most people with whom I spoke were quick to reassure me that there was need for me to try to speak any Swedish at all. Am I that bad? No, probably not. TJ and I been told and read that this is common occurrence.

Later while shopping at the grocery store, I was perusing the aisle with Digestives biscuits (about which I will blog soon). A store employee was stocking the shelves close by. I must have hesitated or looked uncertain while holding my precious Digestives. Because suddenly she began offering me some sort of commentary with a sly smile. In a split-second, I assessed the situation. My reply was an accepting head nod. After which I quickly walked away.

Oh sure, I could have made the "I'm confused" look, stated that I spoke "lite" Svenska, determined if she spoke Engelska, had her repeat said commentary in Engelska, and shared a sly smile with her. Before I quickly walked away. But, in that split-second, I decided to just cut out the middle part and save both time and face.

My road to conversational Svenska is paved with self-imposed obstacles. Liten steps.

4 comments:

Ren said...

The language treatment almost sounds like Metro Manila.

Francis S. said...

You mean små steps! (The way to remember is to think that little is for one thing, small is for many)

Don't give up! It's a good beginning...

Chris said...

Thanks Francis! Actually, I had wanted to say spädbarn steps. But, that would have entailed too much explanation. I'll aim for små victories!

Francis S. said...

Oooh! Spädbarn! That's a good word...