Monday, April 28, 2008

Wanderlust: Skankitude

The other day I was out and about on errands. Just East of Linnegaten, the main avenue near our apartment, is a small grid of streets chocked full of restaurants and shops. It is also a mini-red-light district with a couple of sex shops, video parlors, and some seedy activity. I never would have known had a friend not mentioned it. Quite an agreeable area nonetheless. So, when I walked past this store with my newfound knowledge in hand, I wondered. Skank.



The name certainly fit. But, a clothing store? And not the kind of clothes you'd expect to see on a hot trannie mess. Urban wear. Was I in the right neighborhood? Well, it turns out that skank also refers to a form of dance practiced in the reggae, ska and punk scene. Who knew? But, still, sometimes a skank is just a skank.

No comments: