Sunday, March 30, 2008

Yotaheads


Over the years, I've photographed my fair share of graffiti from around the world. I'm drawn to the visual representation of someone's personal, political and/or artistic statement, especially if expressed with a good dose of humor. Not so much into tagger text. But, a whimsical figure will catch my eye every time. So, imagine my excitement when I spotted these objects d'art on some of the building in my neighborhood. I call them Yotaheads; this is a play on how you pronounce Goteborg. The "G" sounds like a "Y" and the "e" sounds like "eh" - thus, "Yota."

In actuality, I have no idea what these Yotaheads represent. Are they derogatory? I hope not. They are fairly consistent in appearance. Are they created by the same person? Possibly. I've only found them in my neighborhood Rosenlund. Are they found in other parts of the city or elsewhere in Sweden? I will have to walkabout a bit further to determine this. But, in other graffiti-rich parts of town, they are absent from the spray-painted landscape. In Stockholm, I did not see them either.

If anyone knows what the Yotaheads are, please let me know. Perhaps, the Swedish version of Kilroy Was Here? I love a good mystery. In the meantime,
I'll keep looking for Yotaheads and posting images as I discover them.


No comments: