Thursday, March 20, 2008

Tasty Treats and Squeezable Food

I alluded to the fact that Swedes have a sweet tooth. And I can firmly attest that they do. And, I am in big trouble because of it.

Just look at the candy display in our local Hemkop grocery store! The photo doesn't show it, but the display wraps around the corner to the right. And, there are two other free-standing candy displays located in other parts of the store. Now, I wouldn't make such a big thing of this fit these
displays were not in every single grocery and convenience store. You cannot get away from this stuff. Which is why I'm in big trouble. I like sweets...and I'm weak.

It started out innocent enough.
Originally, TJ started buying yogurt-coated fruits and nuts in a bag labeled Tasty Treats (hence the moniker). Slowly, some chocolate-coated items were included. Then, we started sampling from the super-sized candy bins. Now, we only seem to stop at these bins.

Luckily for us, some of the candy is just god-awful. Lots of marshmallow coated strangeness. Oddly-colored, rubbery gelatin pieces. Licorice that tastes like medicine. Will power. I've given up donuts before. I can rise above this too. Besides, the pastries here are pretty damn tasty.

One thing I will have no trouble resisting is squeezable food. I like my toothpaste in a tube, but I draw the line there. This packaging concept is so far beyond squeezable grape jelly, it's in its own league.



Some of the spreadable digestibles include mushrooms, cheese with herbs, blue cheese with whiskey (cleanse the palette and catch a buzz, all in one dollop), shrimp, ham, peppers, bacon, and caviar. There are other tubes whose food images do not provide easy identification. I'll bring the dictionary to the store next time because I want to know what some of this gunk is. Damn my unending curiosity! You know it's only a matter of time before I try this stuff. Don't worry, you'll get a full report. Can't be any worse than Vegemite.


2 comments:

Taiko Tari said...

Hi Chris!
So nice to hear from you. Now I'm going to be digesting your blog.

Well, you seem to be in the wonderland of sweets. I wouldn't rule out licorice so quickly if I were you. In fact it has become my preferred sweets, along with Daim and Dumle. Yummmm. take a look here.

But I agree completely with your spreadable digestible disagreement. haha.

Kram,
Tari

Kimberly 'Butterfly Wings' said...

Hey Chris,

The squeezable tubes remind me of when we were kids...Do you remember Space Food Sticks?

Definitely will bring my own food when I come to visit :-)

-K




Space food sticks