Monday, May 5, 2008

Encased Food Products

Upon my first trip to a grocery store in Goteborg, I noticed aisles of refrigerated encased food. It looked like sausages on steroids; some were quite endowed. I assumed all of it was meat or meat-like products. Over the past few months, I repeatedly have seen the encased products pictured below. And wondered. What is it and do people really eat it?

The shape was more uniform and cylindrical than some of the other sausage-like products in adjacent bins. The contents, partially visible through the plastic film, conjured up all sorts of shutter-inducing animal innards.

Curiosity got the best of me. So, I got out the old Swedish-English Dictionary. Pictured above from left to right: rice pudding, brown beans, and peas with pork. I over-imagined that the rice pudding might be chopped tripe. The brown beans; a lite blood sausage, perhaps. And, the peas/pork combo; well, it just looks like vomit plain and simple. I am racking my brains trying to think of a recipe where I could use one of these. Um, no. Kidding. Don't like rice pudding and cannot bear to try the other two. Probably just the packaging. But, I'll stick with cans.

2 comments:

Francis S. said...

Actually, those peas and pork are pea soup... not bad, if you like pea soup. And the rice pudding is pretty tasty. I've never tried the beans, though. Not sure how you serve those!

Francis S. said...

oh, and cheap jam sometimes comes in a tube like that, too. Strawberry and raspberry, for eating with pancakes, with whipped cream.