Saturday, April 4, 2009

GLAD PÅSK!

Glad Påsk! That's Happy Easter in Swedish. And what better way to celebrate Easter than with a bag of Påsk godis. And, that is exactly what I did. Last night, we made a trip to ICA Maxi and there in the frozen food aisles was a Påsk godis display calling my name. This morning, the godis bag is empty. I know I will pay for this somehow. But, for the moment my stomach feels fine and my head does not feel the sugar rush associated with the overconsumption of very sweet things.

Easter is a big holiday in Sweden. But, religion is not a big part of it. As is typical, there are pagan origins to some of the traditions that carry on today. It's less about the Easter Bunny and more about the Easter Witch. More here.

But, now is not the time to contemplate the religious significance of Easter
here in Sweden, or lack thereof. No, now is the time to savor the flavor of Påsk godis gone by.

No comments: