Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Life and Death in the City

We live downtown. In a port city. So, in addition to the pigeons (and rats) one normally expects to find, there are seagulls. Some are garden variety seagulls, average in size and disposition; others are above-average brutes. Still, we have managed to co-exist despite their loud chatter at all times of the day and night.

So, it was surprising when I observed some strange behavior a few weeks back. I was walking the dogs near the building next door when a seagull screeched, swooped down, landed in the street, and began running parallel to us. The gull tucked his head low as it ran forward and seemed to be 'leading' us further down the street. I observed this behavior the next few times I passed this same way. Sometimes another gull would join the first. Curious. Kinda amusing. Until the seagull screeched and dive bombed me. Talons and beak too close for comfort. Okay, crazy seagulls. I get it.

Or did I? I noticed on my subsequent trips that the gulls were now perched on lights and street signs in one specific area. And when they performed their 'chase me' game, they were taking me away from something. I figured out what that was last week. Two newborns sitting on the sidewalk. Where they had hatched, I couldn't tell. Had they been on the roof and fallen down? Not sure. But, now they were huddling near a drainpipe with their parents standing guard and chasing intruders such as myself away.



Of course, I had to show TJ. Secretly thought I could capture an attack on film. Not to be. Above is TJ, the seagull (on the flagpole), and the two baby gulls (red circle).



From our deck, we were able to observe the protection ritual from afar. It was not safe to get too close during feeding time. Still, other people in the neighborhood had noticed the baby gull's predicament. A bowl of water was put out. Somehow, with the cars and foot traffic, the baby gulls seemed to be making it. Until three days ago. When I noticed that the gulls were not screeching anymore. I looked down and couldn't see any parents watching guard. The babies were gone. No clue as to what might have happened. Did some animal rescue organization collect the babies? Or something worse. So, while I am no longer in danger of being pecked by an overprotective seagull, the relief is bittersweet.

It's tough trying to raise a family in the city.


No comments: